"C" is for Cayce

Nov 15, 2017

Credit SC Public Radio

"C" is for Cayce [Lexington County; population 12,150]. Cayce encompasses approximately fifteen square miles on the Congaree River. The city is the descendant of the colonial trading village of Granby. In 1817 the Cayce family made the former Fort Granby their private residence and around the house became known as the Cayce House. In 1914 the town was incorporated and named Cayce. The coming of the railroads in the 19th century gave birth to the modern city of Cayce. By 1940 Cayce had become predominantly an industrial town—with two major railroad facilities, lumberyards, fertilizer plant, and quarry. The growth of metropolitan Columbia during and after World War II had an effect on Cayce. The most significant impact on Cayce was the conversion of the old Columbia Air Base into the Columbia Metropolitan Airport.