"P" is for Palmetto Medical, Dental, and Pharmaceutical Association. Throughout the 19th century, African-American physicians in South Carolina were barred from hospitals and clinics and they lacked access to many medications and supplies. In 1896, five black physicians formed the Palmetto State Medical Association as a vehicle to improve healthcare for black Carolinians and to graduate more medically trained personnel. Early meetings focused on the advancements of Medical science and efforts to lower black mortality rates. By 1950 the group had changed its name to the Palmetto Medical, Dental, and Pharmaceutical Association; and over the next three decades raised funds to educate talented African-Americans and worked aggressively to promote the desegregation of South Carolina society. At its centennial meeting in 1996 the Palmetto Medical, Dental, and Pharmaceutical Association reaffirmed the goal of its founding members.