"W" is for Wellford [Spartanburg County; population 2,030] Located in west-central Spartanburg County between the North and Middle Tyger Rivers, Wellford was once part of the hunting grounds of the Cherokee Nation. For most of the 19th century the future site of Wellford remained a settlement of scattered farms. After the 1876 arrival of the Danville and Richmond Railroad, a depot and water tank were constructed beside the tracks—and soon businesses followed. Homes, churches and schools soon followed. The emerging village was named for C.P.A. Wellford a director of the Danville and Richmond. In 1882 the town received its charter and elected its first public officials. In the 20th century textile mills, an International Paper Company plant, and other industries moved into town and, in 1976, Wellford was incorporated as a city.