South Carolina from A to Z

All Stations: Mon-Fri, throughout the day

From Hilton Head to Caesars Head, and from the Lords Proprietors to Hootie and the Blowfish, historian Walter Edgar mines the riches of the South Carolina Encyclopedia to bring you South Carolina from A to Z. (A production of South Carolina Public Radio.)

South Carolina from A to Z Archives (April 2011 to Sept 2014)

Ways to Connect

"C" is for Charleston Tea Plantation. The Charleston Tea Plantation produces the only tea grown in the United States on Wadmelaw Island, thirty miles south of Charleston. It is planted with more than 125 acres of tea, Camellia sinensis. Tea and camellias have celebrated histories in South Carolina. Ornamental camellias first arrived in America at Middleton Plantation in 1799 with French botanist Andre Michaux. Their popularity spread throughout the country, but South Carolina is the only state to have produced tea commercially.

"B" is for Blease, Coleman Livingston [1868-1942]. Governor. US Senator. After graduating from Georgetown University, Blease was admitted to the bar in 1889. The following year he was elected to represent Newberry County in the South Carolina House and in 1905 he was elected to the South Carolina Senate. He ran unsuccessfully for governor in 1906 and 1908, but won in 1910 and was re-elected in 1912. The core of his support came from white mill workers. As governor he emphasized individual freedom and racism.

"G" is for Galphin, George.

"E" is for Edelmann, Marian. 

"C" is for Calhoun County.

"U" is for Unitarians

Jan 5, 2015

"U" is for Unitarians.

"T" is for Taylor, John.

"S" is for Saint George's - Dorchester Parish

"R" is for Randolph, Benjamin Franklin.

"P" is for Palmetto Armory.

"O" is for Old Iron District.

"N" is for Nance, Maceo.

"M" is for Maham, Hezikiah.

"K" is for Kershaw County.

"J" is for Jamerson, James

“G” is for Greenville [Greenville County; population 58,282]. The fourth largest city in South Carolina, Greenville traces its origins to 1797. The chief promoter of the little village was Vardry McBee, who built a store, and opened a pair of mills along the Reedy River. The legislature granted Greenville a municipal charter in 1831. In the late nineteenth century economic development transformed the town into a leading cotton market and a center of the growing textile industry.

"W" is for Walker, Billy.

"I" is for Indigo

Dec 11, 2014

"I" is for Indigo.

"H" is for Hamburg

Dec 10, 2014

"H" is for Hamburg.

"G" is for Galivants Ferry Stump Meeting.

"F" is for Farrow, Samuel.

"E" is for the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, the state butterfly.

"D" is for Daniel, Beth.

"C" is for the Cane Hoy Riot.

"A" is for Adams, James Hopkins.

  "Y" is for Yellow Jessamine, the state flower.

"F" is for Freedom Rides

Nov 28, 2014

  “F” is for Freedom Rides [1961-1962]. The Freedom Rides were a series of bus trips through the South designed to force compliance with the US Supreme Court decisions banning segregation in interstate bus travel. In May1961, the Congress of Racial Equality launched the first Freedom Ride, sending an interracial group of thirteen on commercial buses from Washington, DC, to New Orleans. The route included stops in Rock Hill, Winnsboro, and Sumter.

“D” is for Dorchester. In 1697 Congregationalists from Massachusetts settled on the north bank of the Ashley River, about twenty miles northwest of Charleston. Dorchester was a small market village, but it played a significant role in the economy and society of the upper Ashley. Local Anglicans completed the parish church of St. George’s Dorchester in the center of the village in 1720 and opened a free school in 1761. During the French and Indian War, the colony erected a tabby fort and brick powder magazine in Dorchester.

“C” is for Charismatics. Charismatics are mainline Christians who speak in tongues and practice such gifts of the Holy Spirit as prophecy and healing. While some Episcopal and Roman Catholics sponsor regular charismatic prayer services, a more visible outgrowth of the movement is large independent congregations described as “full-gospel” or “charismatic.” The movement began in the 1960s in California among Episcopalians and in the mid-west among Catholics. Southern Baptists strongly opposed speaking in tongues.

“B” is for Best Friend of Charleston. Commissioned by the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company, the Best Friend of Charleston was the firs locomotive built in the United State for public service. Constructed in New York City at the West Point Foundry to run on the Charleston-Hamburg line, the Best Friend was christened by hopeful supporters on its arrival in Charleston in October 1830. The locomotive had its formal debut on Christmas Day 1830, pulling passenger cars from Charleston to Dorchester.

Pages